We had a chat with Katie Hurst, Marketing Director at Water Street Coffee Joint. Here’s what she had to say about the vegan scene at this local coffee spot.
Q: How many locations do you have?
A: Our kitchens are located on The Groves Campus out near KVCC. We supply the shops and manage catering out of this location.
- Downtown on Water St. (open since 1993) is our original location.
- Oakland Drive (2003)
- Centre Ave in Portage (2015)
- Inside Borgess Hospital (2010)
Q: How often do you change your menu?
A: Our menu rotates quarterly every year, usually with the seasons. Our Fall Menu change will be happening the first or second week of September.
Q: What are your current vegan offerings?
A: Current Vegan Menu Options:
- Kung Pao Tofu: Fresh bell peppers, celery, onions, broccoli and carrots with spicy tofu and rice, tossed with our house made Kung Pao sauce and topped with green onion and peanuts (vegan, wheat free, and made with local veggies).
- Baja Bulgur Salad: Fresh spinach and bulgur wheat tossed with jicama, red onion, yellow bell pepper, and grape tomato in a sweet and spicy citrus vinaigrette (vegan and made with local veggies).
- Ginger Mango Noodles: Cubes of mango, red peppers, green onions, cilantro, in a house made ginger dressing (vegan).
- Quinoa Sweet Potato: Roasted sweet potato and red bell pepper tossed with purple cabbage and quinoa in a slightly tamari-rice wine vinaigrette (vegan and made with local peppers).
- Hummus and Pita OR Hummus and sliced Veggies
- Strawberry Mango Cupcake.
Q: Do you do special orders?
A: We do special orders in that you can order any of our vegan options through catering if you're looking to purchase a larger quantity than we offer in the shops.
Q: Could we get a preview of upcoming vegan dishes?
A: Upcoming Vegan menu options:
- Apple Caramel Cake
- Chocolate Cupcakes
- Del Sol Brownies
- A vegan breakfast wrap
- And there are always several vegan options within our entree and salad items.
Katie adds that Water Street offers soy and almond milk as dairy alternatives and is open to feedback and suggestions from its customers.
Stop in and give them a try. Drop a card in the comment box while you’re there. Spread the vegan love by thanking Water Street for sharing the vegan love (and those Strawberry Mango Cupcakes!).